Sunday, January 13, 2013

Save The Children/The Hungarian Revolution of 1956


 This stamp has always been one of my favorites...one I held back from the original collection that passed my way.  The research and learning of history is absolutely the beauty of these stamps.  From the best I can tell, this stamp is Austrian from 1966 and was created to honor the ten year anniversary of the involvement of "Save the Children" to assist in the aftermath of the Hungarian Revolution of 1956.  "Save the Children" is an international organization created to, well, save the children.  It has active branches around the world.  Now further reading took me to the Hungarian Revolution of 1956.  The very short version is the Soviet took control of the country after WW2 and the people revolted in 56 before being tortuously put down.  Suffice to say, there were many children who needed to be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment